Update on Cardinal Drive Park Renovation
Rolling Meadows Park District thanks the community for its patience and support as we have navigated the permitting process for the renovation of Cardinal Drive Park.
We are excited to announce all permitting has been received from the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD-GC), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and City of Rolling Meadows. With these final steps, renovation of Cardinal Drive Park can officially begin!
The project will include a complete renovation of the park, originally constructed in 1961 and located at 2708 Cardinal Drive. Components of the project include the development of an inclusive playground, featuring new playground equipment and surfacing that promote inclusive play for children of all ages and ability levels. The project will also include the addition of two pickleball courts.
Although permitting took much longer than anticipated, we can still get a good start on the project in 2021 in anticipation of a grand opening in spring 2022.
A majority of the work will be performed by the Parks Department. The project plan is comprised of five phases:
- Phase 1 (Fall 2021): Creation of a storm water detention basin, or dry pond with native plantings for compensatory storage as required by MWRD-GC. This will involve the digging and removal of approximately 1,000 cubic yards of dirt (100 semi-truck loads) directly north of the park along the creek.
- Phase 2 (Fall/Winter 2021): Installation of playground posts and decking creating the perimeter of the playground area, along with pouring the concrete curbs and sidewalks.
- Phase 3 (Spring 2022): Installation of the playground equipment and synthetic turf. The playground turf vendor is Perfect Turf® located right here in Rolling Meadows!
- Phase 4 (Spring 2022): Installation of two pickleball courts.
- Phase 5 (Spring 2022): Installation of a new asphalt parking lot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why did the Park District need to obtain a permit from MWRD-GC?
A: The project lies in the 100-year floodplain and is an area greater than .5 acres. Therefore, MWRD-GC required the Park District to create the storm water detention basin (0.371 ac-ft) and obtain a permit.
Q: Why did the Park District remove the old playground equipment prior to obtaining all permits?
A: Unfortunately, multiple pieces of the old playground equipment were deemed unsafe upon inspection; therefore, the old playground was removed. The Park District also did not anticipate the permitting phase to take so long. Hopefully, you and your family were able to enjoy one of our other nine playgrounds.
Q: When will the renovated Cardinal Drive Park be completed?
A: We anticipate the renovated park to be completed in spring 2022.
Q: What play equipment will be provided on the playground?
A: Play equipment will be provided for both ages 2-5 and 5-12. Featured amenities will include: Play tables, kettle drums, mini climbers, circuit play, OmniSpin spinner, We-saw, 6-place swing set (2 belt seats, 1 full bucket seat, 2 ADA and 1 face to face) and a 10’ tower with two slides.
Posted on: Fri September 17, 2021